Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Penguin Launchers


I may have stumbled upon another trump card (something you can't help smiling at no matter how messed up your day was). There I was, minding my business and getting ready for the day. I grabbed my box of cheerios and headed for the table with my 2% milk and bowl. I opened the box and began to pour, but I got more than I bargained for. Suddenly there was a "collector's series prize" sitting in my bowl. Shocked, I carefully examined the UFO. Then it hit me: I'm a winner!

I don't know what it is about finding a prize in my cereal box, but I don't plan on getting tired of it anytime soon. I felt like a little kid.

Switching to the (serious) moral: have you ever sung the extra verses to If You Could Hie to Kolob? There is one lyric that says "there is no end to youth". Is your mirror sending you the same message? Probably not (your mirror isn't lying to you, put the hammer down). The truth is our spirit doesn't age with our bodies. Our body decays, but our spirit is eternal. Some people become as stiff, tired and old as their bodies, forgetting they live on after this life. Others mature, but never grow old.

Maturing, I think, means knowing how to respond to every circumstance life presents. Growing old, I think, means forgetting how to play with kids or relate to a teenager. So, maybe I won't be able to jump up and down at the age of 80, but hopefully I'll still giggle when I find a penguin launcher in my cereal.

1 comment:

  1. Way to explore those nuances, Louis. Beauty and truth are always in the fine distinctions.

    P.S. Where are you buying your cereal? I might need to invest in a box.

    ReplyDelete