Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Home

Home has been and always will be a word that has great signifigance for me. Before my mission home was always the place where my family lived . During my mission I felt that same peace that I associate with home in every one of my areas. After my mission I realized that, at least for me, home was where the Lord wanted me to be. When I got back from the mission I stayed in Aitkin for two months waiting for the fall semester to start. I love my family and it was great to see them, but I no longer felt at home in Aitkin. Why? It was not where I was supposed to be. When I got back to BYU at the beginning of fall semester I felt that powerful feeling of being home.

While I was in Arica this past weekend I got to spend a lot of time with my companion, Elder Bascur. He was my last companion and we worked really hard together and had a lot of success. It was great to remember the mission and the experiences and goals we had back then. As we talked I felt that feeling of being home, but this time I had no idea why. I knew that I wasn't supposed to move to Arica, so I wondered why I was feeling that same feeling.

Alfredo Bascur is one of those people who brings out the very best in me - the real me. When I am around people like Elder Bascur I catch a glimpse of the person I want to be all the time. In short, when I am around people like that I feel at home. I feel that same sense of peace, joy, and calm that lets me know that that is who I really am and that is where I belong. That is the real me. I want to work harder to be that best me every second of every day no matter who I am with or where I am.

While I was there, I was able to focus once more on who I am and where I am going.

Also, on the over-night bus ride to Santiago I was lucky enough to sit beside one of the few chilean guys who is 6'6" and 300 lbs. When he sat down I tried to count my blessings. "At least he doesn't snore" I thought as he dozed off. Nope, mere seconds later I realized he snored too. Conclusion: don't count your many blessings before they hatch.

3 comments:

  1. 140 kg, not 300 lbs. Duh.

    Also, we both know where you can find a potential nesting mate. The ball is in your court, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have felt exactly the same way about things in my own life, including the mission. Keep following the path that will lead you to THE Home, then you will always be "at home" wherever you are on the path that leads you there.

    ReplyDelete