Things I am thankful for: my legs, my ability to run, and...my feet.
Last night I was making a delicious pizza from scratch with a recipe that I have for equally delicious focaccia bread (recipe can be found here). I realized that some things were lacking for my delicious pizza, so I went to a little store about four blocks from home. As I walked to the store I did what I usually do when I go out after dark, I kept my eyes open for people who might rob a very white american. That means you cross the street or turn around and go a different way when you see a group of guys loitering, and don't carry around expensive things or lot of cash. I have to recognize the fact that my face might just as well say "rob me!" because I am clearly american. So, I act accordingly.
In the block right before the store I saw a guy slow down and stop as he approached me so I put some space between me and the strange guy. I went into the store and watched the door to see if he would walk by. He walked by once by himself then a second time with another guy. Both times he looked in the store at me. I made my purchase and waited for them to walk by again. As soon as they did I went out the door and ran in the other direction. For those of you who don't know me very well, I like to run. Sometimes I run just for the fun of it. This time I ran because I was not about to let those punks take my money. Perhaps they just had some questions about the principles of biochemistry, but I wasn't about to hang around to find out. I looked back when I reached the corner and saw that they had turned around and were walking towards me. I ran the rest of the way home and then finished my delicious pizza. I forgot to mention that I am grateful for the genes that code for long legs.
The moral of the story: if you are not big/scary enough to demolish them (I am not), then you should be fast enough to outrun the savages. If nothing else you could at least be equipped with a formidably ear-piercing scream. Also, the pizza was delicious. I made the sauce from tomato paste with garlic and oregano and I topped the pizza with cheese, red bell peppers, and chicken. Once it was done I thinly sliced avocado and put that on top as well. It was a good day.
And yes, I will be careful.
They probably just wanted you to teach them the law of chastity based on your biochemistry expertise. And that pizza sounds delicious. And I'm glad you weren't mugged or shivved.
ReplyDeleteI am disappointed, Louis. Where were your angry eyes? And your angry voice, just in case?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I can scream
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm big and scary enough to demolish those punks who try to attack me...
ReplyDeleteWell, I would not have suspected that you had street smarts. Glad you were paying attention to the savages.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Keep sharp and safe!
ReplyDeleteBut what if they really did have a question about the principles of biochemistry? Now their questions may forever go unanswered, all because you like to run. Come on, Luis. Think with your head.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm glad you are safe and love making your own pizza. I do too.