Monday, June 22, 2009

A Million Faces

Today I was walking down the street at midnight after having gone to visit some of the members. I had fun and I think it was really productive. As I was walking down the street I looked up at a man who was walking towards me and the distant face made me remember a young guy named Felipe that I taught in Pucón. As he got closer a part of me hoped that it was him even though it was incredibly unlikely. It wasn't him.

Felipe was one of those investigators that you instantly love. He didn't get baptized, but I will never forget his face. So it is with all the people I was really able to teach. I don't think I will ever forget them. I find myself in a store and I hear a familiar voice and turn around hoping to see Marcelo and Violeta. I am walking down the street and I see a family that looks like Erwin and Adriana's family. Some of these people are people I am going to be able to see while I am here, others have moved away or changed phone numbers. Felipe is one who has since moved.

When I cross the veil, I think I am going to embrace my family members and shed some tears of joy with them. The very next thing I will do is search for the wonderful people from my mission. I will look for all the people who did not get baptized while we were teaching them. I hope that they will have accepted the gospel. I hope I will see Felipe there.

I am grateful for those two years and for the chance I have to remember them. I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ which brought me to Chile in the first place. At the end of the day, the gospel is what makes relationships truly significant.

2 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same. I hope to find them all again. and I believe I will. And I will tell them, that I never forgot them, just as I promised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I hope you're feeling lots better. This was a really sweet post. I really like the sweet posts. The funny ones are good too, but it's good to see this side of you :)

    ReplyDelete