Monday, November 29, 2010

Good Samaritan, Bad Samaritan

You know those moments when the very best in you comes out and you think to yourself "why can't I be that great all the time?" you know those moments? This was't one of them.

My friend, who we'll call Maude, called to ask me for a favor. She'd locked her keys in her car at her work in Orem. She wondered if I could take her husband, who had the other key, to get the car after his class. I said yes.

On my way, I noticed my gas tank was a little low so I decided to be on the safe side and fill 'er up. That's exactly where things went wrong. I parked at a gas station right beside campus and gently hummed to myself as I got out of the vehicle (I tend to do that). Just as I was about to shut the door, my phone began screaming at me. In the shuffle to get out my phone and answer it, I dropped my keys in the door of the car I was shutting - locked. As I heard the slam of the door and my eyes drifted to the locked locks, my eyes widened and the tune I was humming stopped abruptly. My greeting to the caller was not the cheeriest.

Turns out the Provo police won't unlock your car, and BYU police will only unlock your car if it's on campus. Sadly, I missed that mark by 20 feet.

Of course, the irony of the situation didn't fully hit until I explained to the locksmith that I'd locked the keys in my car while taking a friend to get their keys out of their car. He laughed, my friends laughed, I laughed. You have to admit, it was funny.

Goal for next time: try not to be a bad samaritan. Also, next time I lock my keys in my car I will be doing it on campus.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Louis, dare I hum the tune the song "Only you..." So hilarious. Better luck next to you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. put a key in your wallet you silly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang one around your and don't take it off even to shower.

    ReplyDelete