I have fears. These fears include, but are not limited to, an intense fear of heights and an intense fear of enclosed spaces. I was once stuck in the elevator of a parking garage for half an hour with 15 other people. Let's just say it didn't help any.
A few days ago I took a date and went with my brothers to hike up to the Timpanogos caves. It did not occur to me that such an activity would involve both heights and pretty enclosed spaces. I would just like you all to imagine the look on my face when I looked at the door to the mountain and realized, for the first time, what I had gotten myself into. It was one of those "oh crap!" ones.
My first thought was that I could tell my group to go without me and that I'd just meet them down at the cars. I then realized that I had brought a date along. If I left her to go through the cave alone then I would be one of those guys that girls tell their roommates about during pity parties. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place (the hard place was actually a huge precipice...if you want to be picky). I asked around to figure out just how enclosed the spaces were and I was told that there were places where I would have to get down and crawl. Again, oh crap.
As a last resort I told my date of my fears and said her that if I started freaking out, she should slap me across the face as hard as she could. She smiled and said "really?" I said yes, but not without being nervous that she'd smiled while saying that. With a few deep breaths, and maybe a prayer or two, I walked into that cave.
One of my big irrational fears was that an earthquake would occur. Luckily, the guide calmed my fears by assuring us that our deaths would be quick. Though she smiled creepily while she said it, I didn't feel reassured. In fact, I couldn't help but notice that she didn't say it would be painless.
However, I made it through without being slapped once. I vanquished my claustrophobia and conquered the mountain. Now I just have to conquer my fear that Janet Reno will strangle me in my sleep, and heights.
Thank you, thank you for the laughs. They have been in absentia.
ReplyDeletei am really concerned about the fear of Janet Reno??? hehe! Those were some goods posts!
ReplyDeleteIf you just watch "Janet Reno Dance Party" you will see that she is a nice lady. With a mean right hook.
ReplyDelete