So, I made it aboard the plane in Salt Lake this time. I even made it aboard the plane in Atlanta. Then, against all odds, I even made it aboard the bus to Temuco. Finally, after more hours than I care to talk about, I have reached my final destination. I have even showered and had a good chance to sleep. In short, I am alive and well.
I have to say that coming back here at this particular time is one of the more interesting things that has ever happened to me. I started my mission in Chile during the American summer which coincides with the Chilean winter. I am coming back under the exact same circumstances. They use wood stoves to heat their homes here which puts a lot of smoke into the air during the winter. So, when I got on the bus and started to drive into the colder south I was overcome with memories, smells, sensations, and experiences that I had almost forgotten. It is really interesting to me how many of those memories are connected to those smells. Something as simple as the humidity and the smoke smell in the air takes me right back to four years ago when I stepped off the bus in Osorno.
This is the type of thing I would sit there and day-dream about during boring lectures in biodiversity. I cannot wait to go to my areas and visit the people I love. I saw the buses that said Pucon in the window and I wanted to just jump on board. Don't worry though, I still know where my home is.
So, will you guys still love me if I come home smelling like a campfire? I would like everyone to think about that for the next little while (three months). If the answer is no, I expect you to rethink until you have reached a better answer. I, in the meantime, will be having the time of my life.
Liel and I have the same answer... "No." We'll think about it, but we're pretty stubborn.
ReplyDeleteI personally love the smell of campfires and woodsmoke. Did you here about my Bacon smoking escapades?
ReplyDeletewhat? you have a blog? ME TOO!!!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Chile!