Monday, May 11, 2009

Another Day, Another Disaster

Okay, to fully understand the tragedy that occurred on this seemingly normal day I am going to have to start at the very beginning.

I spent all day yesterday saying goodbye to all my close friends and packing up all of my belongings as well as preparing/teaching sunday school. I finally went to bed after 1:00 am. I had to get up at 7:30 am to do laundry, take my boxes over to Johan's apartment, obtain a criminal background check, stop by work to make sure my two replacements were still alive, and go get a physical. The physical was an interesting story all by itself, but I will tell that another day. Why would I leave all of these things until the very last minute like that? Well, I found out about the physical and the background check on friday at about 4:30 pm. Still, I felt like I could do it.

I was rushing like mad from the time I got up, but I managed to leave my house by 1:00 in plenty of time to get to Salt Lake City for my 4:35 flight. I was finally calming down as we got into the car and started driving to the airport. I thought "whew, I'm going to make it."

Then it occurred to me that I had forgotten to print off my itinerary. I quickly called my friend and asked her to tell me the confirmation number and flight number. She read me my confirmation number and then said "yup, your flight is through Delta and you are leaving at 2:57 pm." FYI, it was 2:57 pm at that very moment. For those of you who suffer from short-term memory loss, I firmly believed that my flight was leaving at 4:35 pm. If there was ever a time in my life when I felt like swearing the colors of the rainbow, that was it.

The next part of the story involved me talking with BYU travel and Delta airlines for a total of about an hour, and paying $280.00 to reschedule my flight for wednesday. I have never had somebody kick me in the gut repeatedly, but I assume that it must feel something like that.

The best part: I sold my contract today and the new kid has already moved into my spot. So, I will be couch surfing for the next two nights. Fortunately I am now at a point where I can laugh about it, as I hope you do when you read this. They say that laughter makes us healthier, so you are welcome.

8 comments:

  1. Pobrecito. That sounds like a rough day. Way to be positive and laugh about it. Come what may and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catastrophe must look good on you. :-). I bet you won't miss the next one though, right?! LOL pobrecito! But thanks for the laughs Louis. FYI, I am not laughing at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man I'm so proud of your positive attitude. I think I'm going to understand your couch surfing thing though here pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what does swearing the colors of the rainbow even mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the epitome of colorful language. Get it together Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for the rainbow explanation. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear. Why am I surprised? I also love your rainbow explanation. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great to hear the whole story -or read it-.

    ReplyDelete