Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Job: Love/Hate



There are quite a few things in life that I don't understand. I'd like to address one of those today in hopes that you can help me come to grips. Issue: Why is it that elevator music, though intended to calm and sooth, actually makes you want to club a baby seal the longer you listen to it?

Today I listened to stupid semi-jazzy, semi-pointless, super redundant "elevator" music while I was on the phone with one of the dozen companies I have to call per day. Normally I can find joy in making the people laugh on the other end of the line, but once I exceed 25 minutes of listening to the same song over and over again while on hold, my smile fades and I put on my angry eyes.

My favorite is when they come back to the phone 4 or 5 times to ask you more questions that they should have asked you in the first place. I just love it because it extends the amount of time I get to listen to that semi-"drive-you-insane" music.

I've been trapped in two elevators in my time and I hated it both time. However, I just count my many blessings that there wasn't actually elevator music in the elevators. I'm pretty sure the combination of an entire MiaMaid group and that semi-horrible music would have been ugly...to put it lightly.

3 comments:

  1. Louis, you crack me up! "...my smile fades and I put on my angry eyes." LOL - - But anyway, I sympathize with you. Thanks for the good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i'm convinced that companies hope you will just hang up and go away when the ask to put you on hold because of the dread of listening to mind numbing music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you on this one. hugs

    ReplyDelete