The process of leaving started two weeks ago while I was driving to work with the director of the laboratory. I said something about fall classes and he quickly asked me when I would be going home. He was surprised by my answer and I could see the wheels turning in his eyes as he started planning a going-away party for me. I called him out on it, but he would not give me any details. It turns out I'm incredibly gullible/trickable when it comes to surprise parties. Until I walked in the door I had no idea that they had been planning this party with everybody in the lab. Either they are talented or I'm a fool, either way it was a great party. I care about those people and I am grateful for all the experiences I had with them.
My ward also had a dinner for me and they all said really nice things about me. I'm getting better at being less-awkward in situations like that. In the end, I left that chapel feeling I was walking on a cloud.
It is important to note that I have delayed feelings; they either hit me gradually or much later. The first hint of emotion happened when I loaded my suitcases into the car and looked back thoughtfully at my house. I stood briefly in my room and took mental pictures. The car drove up, I slowly exhaled, grabbed my bags and left.
The second pang of emotion came at the bus station. I gave Lorena a big hug, shook hands with my professor then walked towards the bus. I loaded my bag underneath then handed them my ticket. As I looked back I heard Dr. Maureira say "make me proud". It continued as the bus engine started and we pulled away.
The next one came after I had rushed through the entire airport (I am always rushing in airports) only to walk into the tunnel and stop. Time slowed down as I realized that I might not be back here for a very long time. I made my peace. I looked around until I started getting strange looks from airport personel, then borded the airplane to a greeting from a woman from Georgia. At that point it was over for me and I was going home/leaving home.
This has been one of the best experiences of my life so far. I am so grateful for the turns in the road that you never expected but that are so much better than what you had planned. This has been one of those turns. Now, on to a new adventure.
How blessed you are. How blessed we all are really. I know what you mean about the emotions coming sort of after the fact. Well said.
ReplyDeleteI have delayed emotions too. But like weeks or months delayed. So we are the same but I am slower? Yes...
ReplyDelete