The other day I was at a celebration dedicated to two girls who finished their final projects for graduation from college. In Chile they have to do a thesis to finish their bachelors degree so it is a bigger deal. The principle food at the party was crêpes and the french professor asked for my help making them. It turns out I am a sucker for a compliment...would you call that flattery? In any case, I made half of them and they were all delicious. It was also interesting because I realized that it was the first time anybody has offered me alcohol. I know, perhaps I have lived a sheltered life but I am okay with that. One guy jokingly said "be a man". Another girl said I should try it to understand what everybody else was talking about. I said no.
The party ended with me being the only one of the dozen people that drank orange juice. The house where the party was held is a part of the thousand acres where I work located about 10 miles from the city. As we were walking along the gravel road through the woods to catch our bus home I looked up at the starry sky. It was incredibly clear and you could see the amazing expanse of things. I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the word of wisdom and for the gospel in general. I felt incredibly grateful to understand my part in something bigger than the little life we experience here on earth.
Life seems to insist that we be constantly moving. I think I am going to take a little more time to be still.
TO be still is such a beautiful thing!!
ReplyDeleteThose last two sentences are quite profound. And quite beautiful. Me gusta.
ReplyDeleteyes, being still... does sleeping count! :-) Seriously though, I concur!
ReplyDeleteBe still and know that I am God was the thought that came to me.
ReplyDeleteso, I looked it up.
D&C 101:16 Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.