Monday, July 13, 2009

Me vs. Monday

Monday and I have never been friends. We had a really rough patch in high school when mondays were the days everything went wrong. There was a period of peace between us while I was on my mission but the battle began again in earnest when I returned from the mission. One friend asked me on a particularly bad monday how I was doing. I said "I'm doing great...and by that I mean I have gotten my trash kicked and my lunch money taken." At least he laughed. I have tried bringing my "A game" but I still seem to get slaughtered every time I flip my day calendar to monday.

I thought I could make a fresh start while here in Chile but my hopes have been repeatedly dashed by consecutive mishaps. Once I tried taking monday off to go to Arica. I even took tuesday off just to be sure. However, it appears that monday has a contract with tuesday and wednesday to prevent escape (I didn't see that one coming). If you don't remember what happened on that particular wednesday please refer to "true beauty" where I got covered from head to foot in mud while on my way to work. I felt like the little kid on the playground who learns through sad experience to just give up his lunch money without even being threatened.

However, I scored a resounding victory today. I came to work despite the fact that I had only slept four hours and I began my experiments for the day (Albert, you owe me big). One person after the other complimented me on my progress and my work in a short period of time. I am a scientist, so I felt like testing the limits of my unexpected luck by speaking to my professor. He too complimented me on my work and said he would like to continue working with me when I returned to BYU! Bewildered, I had to quickly scan my surroundings to make sure that I wasn't on candid camera. So far I have been unable to discover any cameras or evidence of a secret plot to boost my self-esteem. The investigation is still ongoing as tuesday and wednesday have not yet been throroughly questioned. For now I am working under the tentative hypothesis that the monster disguised as monday has either given up or repented of his ways.

If that is the case then I couldn't be happier. I feel like I've done my time.

...I hope I haven't been on candid camera. Four hours of sleep doesn't look good on anybody.

6 comments:

  1. I just tried testing my luck further by asking for this weekend off to go to Coyhaique. He smiled and said no problem. Monday, the monster, is officially dead to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit... this is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Anna. So why would you waste this talent for writing on some scientific journal. Maybe you could manage to make those scientific journals more readable, and more sought after. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since we share the same genetic material, Do you think it would be cheating to have you write all the rest of my college papers for me? Might help with "be more personal comment I got on my last paper". :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two excellent suggestions. More reader friendly scientific journals and helping other people write more personal papers.

    I think I must have gotten up on Monday's bad side low these many years ago and I didn't know there was a different side to the day? Maybe. I will have to test that hypothesis as well.

    Perhaps tomorrow will be a start of a new chain of happier Mondays for me.

    ReplyDelete